Sunday 9 May 2010

Balfron ArtWorks

I have been spending a significant amount of time planning recently as yesterday Dawn and I began teaching our new junior art classes.  We had realised that there was a gap in our area for children's classes years ago, mainly becuase we wanted them for our own children and so finally, yesterday we were able to start, with both classes basically full.
We had asked the parents permission to take photos of the children's work, but we were so busy yesterday that we forgot.  The first class for 5-8 year olds was manic.  By contrast the 9-12 year olds felt like an oasis of calm!  I had challenged one of the older ones to look at her pet guinea pig and work out how to draw it by looking at the shapes.  This was partly because I don't know what a guinea pig looks like, so I couldn't help straight away.  A few minutes later, she challenged me to draw out my own nameplate for my sketchbook as I admitted I had not done so, even though this one the first task we set the kids.  So here is my nameplate, ready to be stuck in place, executed using the same style we had suggested to the children.  The outline should have been black, but I did it whilst we were at the Safari Park this afternoon whilst the little monsters were playing in the sand and I only had a few colours of pens in my bag.
We had loads of things lined up for class yesterday, so we wouldn't run out of things for them to do.  We didn't even manage onto the main activity as everything took longer than expected, which was great.  So we have revised our lesson plans and next week we are going to be using mod-roc to make sculptures.  I hope the kids like getting messy!

1 comment:

Maggi said...

Sounds like they had a great time. As for next week, what kid doesn't like getting messy?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts