Wednesday 14 May 2014

Out & About: the final Loch Lomond Quilt Show

At the moment, I’m not getting to spend much time in my studio making as I seem to be gallivanting to quilt events all the time (life is really tough!).  Today the last ever Loch Lomond Quilt Show started and I spent the morning enjoying the huge variety of quilts.  In the fact, the variety was so bewildering, I haven’t taken many photos at all!  But there is plenty of time as I am going back tomorrow and Friday.
The Commonwealth Remembers - Coming Home (detail) by Senga Bain 
 Here are some of my favourites from the competition quilts.  Although it is only a detail of Senga Bain’s winning entry, you can see that it is absolutely stunning.  The design and execution are fantastic. 
Greek Island Seas by Marion Robertson
Marion Robertson has mixed a number of different types of fabric to make her quilt, which is all hand printed.  She is having an exhibition with her sister in Carradale, August Bank Holiday Weekend, which will be well worth a visit.  We’re taking our tent.
Colours of Burano by Frieda Oxenham
I love Frieda’s work and this year’s entry looked deceptively simple, but her signature beads are still there and the hand quilting is beautiful, deservedly winning the hand quilting award.
Firelight by Jane Appelbee

Finally, I just love how Jane Appelbee has manipulated and coloured her fabric to give the idea of flames.  It is superbly made.

More to follow from the Loch Lomond Show, when I finally stop talking to people I know (part of the joy of this show is how friendly it is) and hunker down and photograph some quilts.

3 comments:

Frieda Oxenham said...

Great news, Gillian. Thanks for posting and hope to see you there on Saturday!

Unknown said...

great pictures!
I love the flames... I just painted flames on my quilt last night, 2 dimensional ones, though :)

Gillian Cooper said...

Oh Frieda, that's a shame as I don't think I'll be there on Saturday. Hope we can catch up soon though. And I loved your piece!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts