Friday 24 October 2014

In my studio: 3 new mixed media paintings

Untitled so far by Gillian Cooper
Amongst other things this week, I have been mono-printing onto paper.  It seems to work better than printing onto fabric – I need more paint for the fabric, so it is thicker and less defined, whereas the paper seems to pick up the subtleties better.  Or maybe it could just be the type of paint I’m using. 
Untitled so far II by Gillian Cooper
To complete the pictures, I painted the backgrounds today.   Painting totally transformed them and as I had used acrylic paint for printing with, it meant I could add more paint without the print running.   I’m satisfied with these three and they have been deemed completed.  As I am enjoying working on paper for a change, there are a number of other ones in progress, in progress being a euphemism for I don’t like them yet, so I’ll keep going!

Untitled so far III by Gillian Cooper




6 comments:

Margaret Cooter said...

Are you considering "So Far" as a title??
Love how those bright colours work together!

Gillian Cooper said...

Thanks Margaret. I'm not sure about the title, but it may end up as 'So Far', - seems as good as any other!

Margaret said...

You are right about the difference between paint on fabric and on paper. The weave of the fabric is quite different from the surface of paper, so the paint would soak up...without any sort of resistance...You might look at fabric with a very dense weave, or play with different weaves and types of fabric surface (synthetic vs. natural) to see how the paint 'settles' thereon. :-)

Gillian Cooper said...

Thanks for your experience Margaret. You've given me another line of experimentation to try - using different fabrics!

Maggi said...

I really like the way that the colours and layers create such depth.

Gillian Cooper said...

Thanks Maggi. I'm having lots of fun experimenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts