Monday 9 March 2015

The Stitching, Sewing and Quilting Show at the SECC, Glasgow

All set up and waiting for visitors
Well, that was one of the busiest weekends of my life!  My teaching from home studio business was launched at the Stitching Show at the SECC Glasgow. Unfortunately, the Loch Lomond Quilt Show ladies can’t continue with the City & Guilds teaching in the near future and they suggested (kicked me) that I took it on, especially as I had always intended to teach from home.  They also really kindly offered me the stand at the Show as they couldn’t use it.
Some of the students' work

It has been a fabulous few days and the feedback from visitors was amazing, including a number signing up for classes (C&G over 7 weekends a year, Friday Fun Days and Thursday morning beginners).  Our C&G students from the Loch Lomond group also had a show of their work and being surrounded by their beautiful quilts definitely enhanced the experience for guests.
People trying the Inktense on fabric
Some of the samples visitors made
Because I don’t like to make things easy for myself, I thought it would be fun to do something on the stand rather than just talk about the classes.  Loads of people tried their hand at using Inktense on fabric (thank you Derwent for the pencils) and really enjoyed it.  I totally related to those who said ‘I have a box of these at home but don’t know how to use them’.  How many purchases like that do I have hiding in a cupboard?!


I was so busy, I barely moved off the stand for the four days, which was great but meant I didn’t really get a look at the other work on display. Just down from me however, was Linzi Upton’s fantastic yurt, coracle and pillars (sorry Linzi if that’s not the correct word), which I’ve written about before and also the ‘It Happens’ group.  Each time I breezed past to change the water for painting I saw something else of their beautiful work.  The group’s work fitted well together – no identical sized pieces required – and it had a lovely tranquil air to it.  The photos aren’t great as the lighting was truly awful, but hopefully they give you an idea.


View of It Happens exhibition

View of It Happens exhibition


So now I am back in the calm-chaos of my studio, surrounded by boxes that need unpacking and a frighteningly looming deadline of my next solo exhibition at Farfield Mill, which I hang in 9 days time.  Not that I am counting... honest!

Anne Tuck's quilt - part of It Happens
A little postcard Sue Grimes made in my workshop

The dropcloth from under the Inktense painting.  Can't wait to use it!





3 comments:

tea and cake said...

The drop cloth looks like it's busy with people!

Gillian Cooper said...

I'm really pleased with the dropcloth - can't wait to start using it in a new artwork!

Maggi said...

So glad that things went well for you. I think the dropcloth looks gorgeous too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts