Wednesday 29 August 2012

Festival of Quilts Competition Update

I have been really surprised by the number of comments that were made on the post about the Best in Show at the Festival of Quilts.  It seems that I have really hit a nerve and I'm pleased that others have been willing to comment and come out into the open about it, as I was rather unsure whether I should make such comments publicly myself.

Although my initial comments were on the Best in Show, it seems there is a lot of disgruntled makers about the judging comments they have received too.  I know that the judging is subjective, but the judges were meant to have been through a judging course and some of the comments I have read, imply the judges really didn't seem to understand the category or that the criteria they were being asked to mark against were wrong.

Rather than just leave all this mouldering on the blog, I'm going to send a copy of the blog post and comments, along with the related comments on facebook to both the organisers and the Guild.  I'll let you know if I get any response.

3 comments:

Maggi said...

Well done Gillian. Your post certainly sparked a much-needed dialogue.

Susan Briscoe said...

Could be the marking criteria which are slewing the marks towards certain quilts. After all, when you're judging, you have to mark to the mark sheet categories. A good marking sheet helps overcome a judge's personal preferences, unless of course they really can't tell what is an excellent and appropriate edge finish method for an art quilt rather than a bedquilt or vice versa - I'm not sure some people can!

Frieda Oxenham said...

That's a good idea, Gillian. That gives them a chance to look (again) at the judging and how it can be improved. I briefly contemplated doing the course myself but in all honesty I'd so much rather be making the art!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts