Wednesday 23 September 2015

Out & About: Château de Haut-Kœnigsbourg

The view through one of the windows onto the tower

Last week was a big week.  After the fun of getting my work to Ste-Marie-aux-Mines in France and getting it hung, we had a lull of one day before the show opened.  For my one day off, we went to visit the Château de Haut-Kœnigsbourg, down the valley from where we were staying.  It was a beautiful castle, with a fascinating history.  It sits on the edge of France, but over the years, it has been part of Germany and then part of France again.  The last time it was in Germany was leading up to World War I, and to emphasise its importance and to show the world how far the German Empire had expanded, the Kaiser ordered it to be restored at the start of the twentieth century.  
The entrance to Haut-Koenigsbourg

Visiting today, a big thing is made of the restoration - it is not hidden, making us believe the castle was always thus.  As part of the restoration process, many photos were taken - a real 'before and after' and copies of some of these were displayed, making for interesting viewing.  
One of the door locks at Haut-Koenigsbourg

I was fascinated by the windows, locks and staircases, as my photos show.  We all really enjoyed our visit, and would definitely recommend it if you are in the area - visiting the European Patchwork Meeting, for example.  In my next post, I'll tell you about how the Show went for me - our broadband is running super slow at the moment, so I'm still waiting for all of the 1303 photos that were taken to upload.  Don't worry, I don't intend sharing them all!
Another of the door locks at Haut-Koenigsbourg

Yet another of the door locks at Haut-Koenigsbourg

View through a window

A final door lock at Haut-Koenigsbourg
The view across the Vosges Mountains from the top of the castle



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts