Monday 8 November 2010

Houston street reflections


As I have spent all of this week in the Quilt Show, almost literally from dawn to dusk, I haven't had any time to see Houston at all. From the trip in from the airport, I was surprised how flat the land was and the only other impression was seeing the skyscrapers towering up as if from nowhere as we arrived downtown. Apart from that I have walked up and down Dallas Ave from my hotel to the Quilt Festival and back. However, I loved seeing the reflections of the buildings on the glass of the other buildings and started photographing it whenever I could. Although I would not like to live in such a concrete area as a city centre - I would miss grass and trees, it is fun to be right in the middle for a while and apart from Canary Wharf in London, I don't think we have any area like this at all back home.



My other impressions of Houston are that it is incredibly meaty - I don't think there was a single non-meat option in all the different catering stands at the Convention Centre. However, the people were all really friendly and helpful. I went in a bookshop one evening and I have never been in a place with so many Bible and Christian related gifts (that wasn't a specific Christian bookstore) before, but this was made bizarre as in the same shop there was the biggest array of gun magazines I've ever seen. Someone told me later there is even one called something like 'Southern Homes, Gardens and Guns'. Sounds like a contender for the guest publication on Have I Got News For You.


One thing we look out for as a family is what the different crossing signs are in each country. With small children, you have to spend a lot of time waiting for them to change to teach them road safety. At home we refer to the green man. Well here it is a white man and rather than a red man it is a large red hand, which counts down when the lights are going to change to 'don't walk'. Strangely the number it started counting down from varied from light to light.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts