Monday 29 November 2010

unexpected holiday - snow dyeing

Scotland, or at least where we live, is under an unexpected blanket of snow.  It's really early for snow here and in the six years since we moved back, we have not seen anything as deep as this - even in the two huge freezes last winter.  So school was cancelled, snowmen built, lots of baking done and we had a go at snow dyeing.
I had read about snow dyeing on blogs last winter and it looked like fun.  These were our attempts today.  I don't know whether they worked yet - they are still buried in the snow.  I didn't really follow any precise rules or formulas, so if they work it will be more luck than design. 


Still it kept the kids amused for another 30 minutes and was fun for me too.  School has already been cancelled for tomorrow and more snow is falling just now.  The local Co-op is empty as people have been panic buying milk and bread.  I'm sure we'll survive a few days more...!  So we'll dig out the fabric tomorrow if we can find it under all the fresh snow and see what the effect it.  Hopefully it will be some marvellous to wow you with tomorrow night.  However, I'm happier with a smaller success: amazingly, apart from a couple of pink fingers, it seems that the dyes missed the children...


2 comments:

Trekky said...

Snow dyeing sounds interesting! Please share your results.

Margaret said...

I live in a land of snow...and have not yet tried this. Looking forward to the results!

P.S. My great-great-grandfather was one of the Rennies of Kilsyth...I visited there in 2007...went to Stirling on a day trip...such a beautiful place! I can imagine the snow in Kilsyth and up at Tomrawr (sp?) where the family began...and the simplicity of dyeing, stitching, making...during the snow-filled days...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts