Thursday 7 January 2010

37 steps to madness



When I was asked to do a solo exhibition at The Changing Room in Stirling, I was delighted.  It is a lovely gallery with two rooms.  However, my 37 steps piece only fills one of them.  I do have other work I could show, but I wanted something to tie in.  It has been on my mind ever since Emma asked me in November, but mentally I was thinking I would start on it in the new year.  The 1st of January arrived and I had a brainwave.  I would make 37 small pieces to be placed on the floor like the snapshots I took every 37 steps.  Each of these pieces would be based on one of the snapshots.  Rather than make them photo shaped, I decided to make them 6 x 12in, roughly a large foot size (not my foot size as I take a tiny size 3!).  I calculated there were exactly 37 days until 6 February, which is when I would need to have everything ready to be installed, so that means I have to make one a day.  Oh.  What a challenge to set myself, as of course, I have nothing better to do, except look after the monsters, enjoy the snow, do my normal subbing for Popular Patchwork, write those articles that need to be written, write and give a talk to Helensburgh Quilters.... so I decided in my normal madness to go for it.  Will I make it?  Who knows.  Here are the first two, made on the 4th - yes I'm already behind!

1 comment:

Maggi said...

That is a really interesting concept. Good luck with getting them finished.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts